Sunday 26 January 2020

My Top 10 Goals for 2020

My Top 10 Goals for 2020

Home office set up




The Background

We've all heard it before, right? "New year, new me"? Well, I'm proposing a new idea this year. Same old me, just improved. This took some getting-my-head-around at first, I had to kinda accept that, yeah, I am an alright person and yeah, even if nothing changed, I'd still be pretty cool! However, there are a few things I'd like to work on in 2020.


The Goals


1. Move more
I am ... well, pretty lazy. There are no other words for it. Having fibromyalgia, I am often in a lot of pain and I fear that I have been using this as a slight excuse. Every now and again, I feel that maybe a gentle dog walk, a big of yoga or even a swim(!) would actually do me some good, blow the cobwebs away and get me out the house.

2. Leave my comfort zone
Like many others, especially those with any kind of mental health/anxiety issues, I am a creature of habit. I like my daily routine, I like hanging out with my friends, I like to stick to places and people I know. However, I can find myself getting lonely, frustrated or even bored with my surroundings. I wanna be able to try new things, meet new people and go to new places! So, I have taken my first step and booked myself onto a galentines calligraphy course at Rise in Preston (if you haven't checked this place out, you totally should!) with the amazing Kate (@kate.illustrate on insta). I have been to Rise previously so, although not a new place as such, it'll be with new people and trying something new. Tick and tick!

3. Drive on the motorway
Having passed my driving test eight years ago, I can count the times I've driven on the motorway on one hand - more accurately, on one finger! I am terrified of driving on there. I have no idea why! I know I'm a good and totally competent driver so I know that I shouldn't be, but I think having avoided it for so long now, I've built it up into a huge deal. Must conquer this fear in 2020!

4. Move house
Amazingly, we had our offer accepted on a beautiful little house in November, and are hoping to get a move in date soon - how exciting! I can't wait for the Ikea trips to begin once we get the keys!

5. Drink more water (aka, drink less caffeine!)
Whether it be tea, coffee or coke zero - I am caffeine obsessed. I love a cup of tea, I have a personalised pint mug from Emma Bridgewater and I must drink at least six of them a day. However, I am aware that this means I drink less just plain ol' water, so this is a big aim for me this year.





6. Make more time for books
In the past, I was a huge bookworm - think Belle from Beauty and the Beast, but with access to a Kindle. The goal this year is 20 books, which may not seem a lot but I think it's a good start! So far, I'm on my third (Where the Crawdads Sing) as well as trying to finish Louis Theroux on Audible. Make sure to check out my Goodreads section in the sidebar to see how I'm getting on!

7. Stop being afraid to say no
Saying no is something I've avoided for as long as I can remember. Let me tell you, this has got me in many uncomfortable situations. Attending parties I didn't want to go to, going to meals that I didn't feel up to, meeting up with people who I didn't like ... all these things ultimately led to 'burn out'. That feeling of wasting energy on things/places/people, energy that could have been spend on much more productive things, well, that feeling's gotta stop. Sometimes you just gotta say no!

8. Try not to use retail as therapy - but don't beat myself up if I do
Since I started with mental health issues as a very early teen, I have always turned to shopping in an attempt to make myself feel better. In this day and age, with everything so readily available at your fingertips, the daily bombarding of emails with here are some things we think you'd like, YouTube hauls and having card details stored (so you don't even have to find your purse!) - this has been getting more easy to do. I'm making a very conscious effort to stop buying things I don't need just because my mood isn't right. Ultimately, it only leads to feeling worse.

9. Get back in the Slimming World way of thinking
When I first joined Slimming World, I lost three and a half stone. Then, along came Quetiapine - an anti-psychotic medication that I was on for a very short period of time that still, somehow, managed to help me put on stones in weight. It wasn't pretty. It still isn't pretty, but I know if I get back to following Slimming World, a plan that I enjoy, I can get there - slowly but surely!

10. Start blogging!
Well I can tick this one off the list already, right? Self explanatory goal, that I went into more details on in this post.



What about you? What are your goals for 2020? Let me know in the comments!
Don't forget to follow me on insta and twitter.


Lots of love, LJW x


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I hope you manage to achieve all your goals this year. I totally get driving on the motorway is scary I think because cars are driving so much faster than on a normal road, but the more you do it the more confident you will become!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig